11/04/2007

School, Squeegees, and Sandwiches

by Bob

Well, it's time to update everyone on what's been happening here at the Bobily household for the last few weeks.
School has been going well. Just a few weeks ago I started a new class. It is a half-semester course and it has been wonderful! It's called Ca
reer Management Skills and we have gone over resume basics, how to write a cover letter, interview preparations, and this week we will be having a panel discussion with several different hiring managers from different firms where we will discuss the various aspects of interviewing. We will be able to hear directly from these hiring managers what they're looking for when interviewing candidates. What's been really cool about this class is the fact that what I'm learning applies directly to things I am currently doing. This semester I'm polishing my resume, applying for jobs, and I'll be having several job interviews over the next few weeks. Don't get too excited, though...I may have to go through a few job interviews before I find the job I'm looking for.
I'm sure you're wondering why the word "squeegee" is in the title of this entry. Let me explain. This time of year as we approach Christmas I have to endure the ever dreaded question, "What do you want for Christmas?" For those of you who don't know, I do NOT like people buying things for me. Am I weird? I feel that people should just spend the money on something for themselves. This is probably the reason I'm so hard to shop for. But I have accepted the fact that there are some people out there who will, no matter what I say, buy a gift for me. Please don't think I'm being ungrateful. I do appreciate it when people go
against my wishes and spend money on me, but if you're going to...just buy me something I am already going to buy like deodorant, socks, toothpaste or a squeegee. A squeegee, you ask? Yes, I have a huge obsession with clean windows. It drives me crazy when there is dirty glass of any kind. I know I'll be in trouble when we have kids. From what I understand kids come with sticky fingers that are the worst enemy of nice streak-free glass. It's almost therapy for me to not just clean windows, but to check every inch of the glass multiple times until there are no streaks, spots, or finger prints. Yes, I know how weird this sounds
. In fact, if I could spend a good 20-30 minutes cleaning my windows with the squeegees at the gas station, I would; I have tried this and about 3 minutes after my gas is done pumping I start to get honks from the people waiting to pump their gas. After another 2 minutes or so the obscenities begin. This is when window washing stops being therapeutic. I just stick my tongue out at these rude people and drive away to a more peaceful place with my windex and newspaper. (Newspaper gives you a streak-free shine when cleaning glass) So, I'm ready when people ask, "Bob, what do you want for Christmas?" Here's my answer: I WANT A SQUEEGEE!!!
I mentioned in my last update that we are trying to eat more healthily. Things are going alright, I guess. We have been buying fresh sliced turkey at the deli counter at the supermarket and making sandwiches. I add lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, mustard, mayo (just a little), and my favorite ingredient...jalapeƱos. Yum!
Mutti will tell you that I used to hate sandwiches that did not include peanut butter. Sandwiches with fresh meat were always "slimy." Honestly, they still are a bit slimy to me, but the redeeming quality of the sandwiches I now enjoy is the jalapeƱos. I also enjoy these spicy treats on pizza and hamburgers. They are so good! Now,, I have not been perfect with my eating habits. Last Friday I had a will-power breakdown and ate 10 whole Oreo cookies. Double Stuf!!! And just in case anyone is counting--this equals 700 calories. Oh, and Double Stuf Oreos have 17 more calories per cookie than regular Oreos. This reminds me, I need to go find some cookies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to the first post-Christmas entry when you give your readers a count of squeegies received. After that enthusiastic squeegie request, how could anyone get anything else for you!?