We've been through a lot this Spring and Summer with our back lawn. I'll give you the short version of the story...
Once upon a time Bobily bought their first house and they loved it! If you don't believe me, just look at this post. Pay particular attention to the last 3 pictures on the post. Well, from the time we moved into the house until Spring of this year we tried to maintain and improve our green lawn.
Enter an unnamed utility company that was given the job of doing underground work in our neighborhood. Here's what they helped us do:
1. They dug a trench down the center of our lawn (we didn't know this was going to happen) which contributed to the our new grass seeds' stunted growth--at least in the area where the trench was.
2. They broke a sprinkler line.
3. They didn't tell us about the line break.
4. They buried the line break so we couldn't see the problem.
After a while we noticed that our grass was dying. By the time we discovered the problem it was already too late. When the sprinkler line broke it caused the whole sprinkler line on one side of our lawn to loose pressure so that most of the lawn didn't get any water.
Here's what it looked like
We spoke to the unnamed utility company numerous times and here's what they did (or didn't do):
5. They came out and fixed the sprinkler line.
6. They refused to compensate us for the dead grass even though them not telling us our line was broken was pretty much the cause of the dead grass.
Anyway, I spent a good chunk of my Labor Day reseeding. I tilled, added soil & compost, seeded, covered the seed with peat moss. Here's what it looks like so far (less than 3 weeks later):