7/17/2010

Alaska Trip: July 3rd


Last Summer Emily left me for a couple of weeks to spend some time in Alaska. This time I decided to go with her. We left after work on July 2nd and arrived in Fairbanks late at night...or maybe it was early morning. It's light pretty much all the time right now in Alaska which threw us off the whole time we were there.

A major highlight of the trip was getting to hang out with my mom, my two brothers (Mike and Nick) and Mike's wife, Melissa. Oh, and Emily.

Another bonus was that the airline misplaced our luggage so after traveling for 12+ hours we didn't have any toiletries or clothes when we arrived. After arriving in Fairbanks we went to my parents condo and slept for a few hours before heading out to see some sights. Our luggage had arrived by the time we woke up.

Our first stop was the Tanana Valley Farmer's Market. Don't worry if you can't pronounce the word 'Tanana.' I spent four days in the Tanana Valley and I have no idea how to pronounce it.

Em, M&M at the Farmer's Market waiting for...

Popcorn!


Afterwards we headed out to see a portion of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. The pipeline carries 42 million gallons (or 1 Million Barrels) of oil every day. While we're on the topic of oil I thought I'd mention that the Gulf Oil Spill was spewing less than 1/10th of that at it's worst point. It makes me hope that the Alaska Pipeline has a shut-off valve or something...


These types of signs about the sunrise and sunset were common to see around town.

We just had to stop in for a little treat at the Fudge Pot...



No comments: