6/01/2011

Our baby anniversary

So, one of my favorite things to do lately is to think back on what was going on exactly one year ago today. Our lives have changed so much in such a short time and today is an especially special day to reflect. June 1st 2010 was a day that I will never forget. We woke up in the morning to an e-mail from our birth mom and here is part of what it said: "And yes, to answer your question, I would like it if you two would be willing to....sorry not quite sure how to put this, but if you would be willing to accept an addition to your family." I remember reading over that e-mail a million times ecstatic that our dreams were finally coming true. We were approved and waiting since August of the previous year and hadn't received any contact at all until we met this birth mom just a few weeks earlier. I was scheduled for surgery (for fertility purposes) the next day and that night I was NOT feeling good about the operation. It was the first time since we planned it that I felt this way and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I had Bob give me a blessing and I didn't feel better at all (not your fault hun!). I sent poor Bob to Walgreen's at 10:30 that night to get a pregnancy test. I stopped keeping them in the house because the last time we got pregnant was with fertility treatments 9 months before and the only time we got pregnant on our own was over two years before. It was positive and I remember almost feeling mad because I didn't want to have another miscarriage in the middle of our adoption experience.
Well, I'm sure you figured out that it was a much happier story then I thought it would be. Dean was born just 4 months later and Isaac 4 months after that. I can't believe that it was just a year ago that I was completely unaware of the wonderful family we would have now. These boys are my world and I think about how blessed I am every day. Just this last Saturday we took Dean to the temple to be sealed to him for time and all eternity. Having both of my sons in the same room that Bob and I were sealed in almost 7 years before was a moment that I will never forget.
When we were in the middle of struggling to have children I couldn't understand why I was being denied the blessing of being a mom. Reflecting back over the last year has let me see that the Lord had so much more in store and he was just making sure I was ready. I'm sure that the patience and faith I learned during that time will come in handy in the future...! Dean and Isaac, Mommy loves you so much!

4 comments:

Jane said...

It was a wonderful day. I'm so happy those cute kids are eternally yours.

Brad and Lisa said...

Your boys are so adorable! I'm so happy for your family!

Sheri Terry said...

You two were being prepared for some special little guys! It's a blessing to be their grandma. Love you all!

Debby said...

Congratulations on your beautiful family!