11/01/2012

Ellis Jude

         Ellis Jude Terry was born October 14th at 7:42 PM weighing 8 pounds 2 ounces and 20 inches long. We went in for an induction that morning (because he was a week past his due date) at 7:30 and by 5:30 that evening I was still stuck at a three. I was super depressed because I did not want Pitocin because I really didn't want an epidural (I didn't have one with Isaac and I loved his labor and delivery). When we got into the hospital they hooked me up to a portable monitoring device for baby and I was able to do laps around the labor and deliver unit. One of the nurses informed me that 17 laps was one mile and so we kept count and ended up walking 5 miles. I thought all the walking was going to make labor go quicker so I was really bummed. They started me on the lowest dose of pitocin at 5:30 (it was what the nurse called "just a whiff") and I had them turn it off less than an hour later because things were really getting rolling. I went from a three to having him here in about 2 hours and it was super intense but I was thrilled because I didn't even have time to think about an epidural. In fact the nurse had to call STAT because he came faster than any one thought and she was by herself in the room. They had to have the pediatric team on hand because he was born with meconium and they had to make sure he wouldn't aspirate on it.
     Isaac had trouble with his heart rate dropping during delivery so the pediatric team was there for him too. Bob couldn't cut the umbilical cord for either boy and we had to wait for a few minutes for both to get checked out before we could hold either one. My babies seem to just come out really blue and take a couple minutes to start crying. Those couple minutes always feel like an eternity and I'm pretty sure I hold my breath the whole time. I also start bawling the minute they do start crying because that means they are OK. Even though the first couple minutes are scary they always end up doing well on their APGAR and are happy healthy babies for which I am very grateful.
    Sweet little Ellis (or Eli as we sometimes call him) is a really mellow little man. He is a great eater and sleeper and the only things that upset him are having his diaper changed which he is already getting used to and being put in his car seat which he gets over quickly. Everyone says he looks a lot like Isaac but I think he looks more like Dean's baby pictures then Isaac's.
   Naming him was a real challenge for me. I do not like popular names and I check the Social Security website regularly to see what ranking a name has before I consider it. Since I was a little girl I knew my first boy was going to be Dean and Isaac was decided when I was reading over the story of Abraham and Sarah in the Bible when they found out they were going to have a baby and they laughed because they couldn't believe it. If you don't know the backstory about us finding out about Isaac you can read about it here and it will make a lot more sense. http://bibbidibobilyboo.blogspot.com/2010/08/spilling-beans.html I find I have a million girl names I love but boy names are much harder. We have a rule with our boys names that one (either first or middle) name has to be a family name and the other a bible name. I feel it's important for their names to have a story and meaning behind them. That helped us narrow it down but I was still very undecided until about a day after he was born. We were trying to fill out his paper work before we left the hospital and to help me decide Bob wrote my two favorites down on a piece of paper and Ellis Jude just felt right. Ellis is Grandpa Terry's name and Jude is from the bible not to mention one of my favorite songs :-)
    Bob had two weeks that he took off work to help after Eli came and he just went back to work this Monday. I'm very proud to say that I am holding down the fort pretty well by myself and I'm even finding time to shower and eat meals regularly. Dean and Isaac are adjusting better then I thought and are really loving towards their little brother. Dean loves to bring him all the good toys and Isaac loves to give him kisses and point out all his body parts. Over all I am just feeling really blessed lately that I have three cute, smart, sweet little men to spend my days with. There is definitely never a dull moment in the Terry household.






 









No comments: