12/07/2007

I Wanna Talk About Me: Letter to a Friend

Over the past several months I have been able to get back into contact with several people that I haven't spoken to in years. It's interesting to see where people are and what they're doing since we got out of High School (I graduated in 2000). And it's crazy to see what these friends are doing and how they've changed. Basically, the internet is amazing. Unfortunately, every time I come into contact with one of these people I have to repeat the history of what I've done for the past 7 years. This post is meant to tell all of my buddies what's been going on since I saw them last so that I don't have to repeat myself another 20 times (I know I don't really have that many friends and that I will, in fact, still repeat myself). One of my friends from Korea looked at the BBBBlog and didn't see a picture of me on it so I've included that. It's basically the only picture I have of myself besides the baby photo I carry around in my wallet. Some of you might think the format of the rest of the post is cheesy, but it's just the poet in me wanting to be a little creative. Oh, and just in case you didn't know the title of this post is actually two song titles: one by Toby Keith and the other by Warrant.
Dear Friend,
I can't believe it's been over 7 years since we graduated from High School! The times were great, weren't they? Sorry I haven't been as good at keeping in touch with you as I should have. I promise I'll be better.
Remember when we used to drive around in the middle-of-nowhere Arkansas, roll down the windows in Papa Smurf and jam out. I guess I should let you know that my musical tastes have changed a bit. I still love to crank up the rock music, but I have abandoned my hatred of Country music. The main reason for this is that Country music hasn't lost its sense of humor. We used to make fun of the redneck lifestyle in Arkansas and I love Country because they can laugh at themselves (and everyone else). I still can't stand some of the really twangy Country, though. Check out the song Hillbillies by Hot Apple Pie to see what I'm talking about with the humor. (WARNING: This song may not be appropriate for young children.)
I guess the last time I saw you was just before I left for Okinawa. I had so much fun there even though I was only there for about 6 months. I basically just worked and played. Exploring the island of Okinawa was amazing!
After Japan I left to go on my mission to Korea. This mission was a wonderful and life-changing experience. I was there for about 2 years. I learned the language, I learned to love the food, and I learned how amazing Korean people are. Every time I think about my service to the Korean people I think of their generosity and their love. Koreans have a word that is sort of like friendship and love, but it's more than that. They call it jung. We don't really have a word for it in English, but I know you've felt it. I get that feeling when I think about the close friendships I gained in Korea (and Arkansas).
While I was in Korea my family moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico of all places. I didn't really have anywhere else to go so I went there for a while. That was in the Spring of 2003. That Summer I moved up to BYU mostly to get some Korean language credits and because it felt like the place I needed to be. I know we used to make fun of (and sometimes I still do) Mormons feeling like they have to go to B.Y. Zoo, but that's where I needed to be at the time. Rather than head back to New Mexico I decided to stay in Provo and try to find a job. Jobs for college kids in the area are hard to find. After a lot of pondering I knew I needed to move back to New Mexico. I did this in mid October.
School was still my top priority once I got back to New Mexico. I started school at a local community college in January of 2004. I am now attending UNM and will graduate with a degree in Finance in May 2008.
In December 2003 I started dating Emily Jewell. Neither of us was really looking for a serious relationship, but a serious relationship sort of sneaked up on us. We did a lot of pondering and praying and we decided that we were meant for each other. (I know it sounds a bit cliche). We were officially engaged in late April and were married on July 24, 2004. I can't believe we've been married for over 3 years now. I know you're wondering, but we don't have any kids yet.
I bet you're also wondering what sort of woman would be "meant for" me. Well, there are tons of reasons, but I would say that the top 3 things that attracted me to her were 1. Her desire for education, 2. Her spunk, and 3. Her modesty.
Education: You know how my family is with education. In our minds there is no way to be too educated. Well, Emily's desire for and love of education fits right in with that view. She graduates next week with a Bachelor's in Music Education. She told me the other day that she is tempted to just keep getting certified with different teaching certificates and keep getting educated. Rock on!
The spunk: One of our friends once referred to Emily as "hard-headed." I call it spunk. You could also say she's very passionate. I love her spunk!
So, my 3rd reason might sound a little weird, but one of the main reasons I love Emily and that I was attracted to her was her modesty (in dress). Call me a Mormon (I won't be offended), but even among the LDS population there are a few girls who still dress like hoochies. I guess it was all those lessons at Church that really made a difference and in my mind "Modest is Hottest!" That describes Emily.
Currently I'm looking for a job and am just excited about being done with school in spite of the fact that I'm looking at going right into my Master's Degree. I'll keep you updated. Please write me back and tell me what's been going on with you.

Bob



No comments: