12/09/2007

Sesame Street (by Bob)


HELP! Did anyone else see the news article about how the first few seasons of Sesame Street have been released on DVD, but there is a warning on the box that says, "
These early ‘Sesame Street’ episodes are intended for grown-ups, and may not suit the needs of today’s preschool child.” Sesame Street is an adult program? Yup! Check out the full New York Times article and try not to be too depressed about your childhood. Here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/magazine/18wwln-medium-t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

3 comments:

Ryan Roe said...

This whole thing has gotten blown way out of proportion. The disclaimer doesn't say that the old-school episodes are bad for kids, it's just pointing out that they were made for a different audience. And if you watch the show today, Cookie Monster still eats cookies and letters and other things every single day, and Oscar is still pretty grouchy.

I've written more on this issue in an article here:

http://toughpigs.com/2007/11/voice-of-reason.html

Steve said...

Yes, agreed! Due to recent warning labels put out by Sesame Street, I have moved my 2-year old to strictly a Family Guy of goodness and wholesomeness. At least she will be getting a little more of what the real world is: talking dogs and babies bent on taking over the world.

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about the sesame street thing other than it shaped my childhood, but I just wanted to say hi to Bob, I came across your blog on the mission site. Looks like things are going well for you and your wife and kid/kids?
We are living in Salt Lake city now while I am going to Grad school. Drop me a line sometime. luke.mccausland@utah.edu
see you around