9/21/2011

I need to vent...

I was raised by parents that were very demanding about companies providing excellent customer service to their costumers. And not in a bad way either. If the service was below their expectations they would answer honestly and politely when they were asked. In fairness they would also praise for a job well done and not only continue to do business with the company but also send more business their way. Sometimes as a kid I was embarrassed by the all the free deserts, meals and deals they got but now that I am older I realize that I am exactly the same way. I feel it is only fair to give a company a chance to make it up to me before I stop doing business with them and give them a bad review to everyone I know.
Over the last couple weeks I have been astonished at how many companies basically tell me they do not want my business by not showing up to appointments or calling me back. Since Bob has been at his new job we have lists of projects that were neglected in the past that we are slowly working through. Everything from building dog runs, buying furniture, fixer-upper projects in the house and car shopping. This morning I waited for a guy to come give me a quote on putting in a dog run and new grass in the backyard. An hour after the end of the time window he set-up I called and his exact words were "Oh, yeah, I was working on stuff for my house and I completely forgot. Can I come tomorrow?" I had just set up this appointment yesterday and this was the third company I have tried. The first one lost my phone number and showed up unannounced only to give me a really inflated estimate and the second came and looked and then never called me with a quote. Needless to say I told this third guy that this was a poor message to me about how he ran his company and I was no longer interested in working with him.
I have also been less then impressed with a few furniture companies around town as well as untrained car salesmen (the last one didn't know what stow-and-go seating was). I think I may be on to something about why so many companies are going out of business. Its not the economy- its poor customer service! I guess I will just be hanging onto my money until someone proves to me they really want it. Thanks Mom and Dad for making me so picky :-)

2 comments:

Jane said...

It's funny how we turn into our parents. My parents taught me and my dad's grand mother was ruthless with companies who didn't give good service. When she got good service her tips were enormous.

Jane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.