7/11/2008

Dictionary Additions

I came accross an article the other day about the words that Merriam-Webster has added to the dictionary this year. It's interesting to think about how our language changes constantly. I contacted Merriam-Webster to get a full list of additions, but they said that they don't release the full list (of about a hundred words) to the public. Here's my report on some of the gems from this year's additions. I've included a few pics as well as the dates that the words were first encountered in an english-language publication...and, of course, some commentary is included.
  • Air quotes (1989): gesture made by raising and flexing the index and middle fingers of both hands, used to call attention to a spoken word or expression. (Thanks to Mike Meyers for modeling the air quotes for us).
  • Dirty bomb (1956): bomb designed to release radioactive material.
    • I thought it was interesting that this word was first used in 1956, but it is just now making its way into the dictionary.
  • Edamame (1951): immature green soybeans, usually in the pod.
    • Another old one. I was at the grocery store the other day, and I saw a bag of edamame. It's a good thing that it's now in the dictionary. I mean, had I not read the article, I would not have known what these were.
  • Mondegreen (1954): word or phrase that results from a mishearing of something said or sung. From the mishearing in a Scottish ballad of "laid him on the green" as "Lady Mondegreen."
  • Pescatarian (1993): vegetarian whose diet includes fish.
    • Has anyone heard about the people who claim that Jesus was a pescatarian?
  • Soju (1978): a Korean vodka distilled from rice.
    • Soju is a word I have used several times since returning from Korea and wondered why people don't understand me. Maybe more people will know what I'm talking about now. Japanese Sake has been a well-known word in english for a long time.
  • Subprime (1995) 1: having or being an interest rate that is higher than a prime rate and is extended especially to low-income borrowers; 2: extending or obtaining a subprime loan.
    • If anyone has not heard this word --where have you been for the last few years?

I'll try to make the next post a bit less educational...or not!

2 comments:

Tom and Alison said...

I wonder why you picked "soju" - closet alcoholic! j/k - nice selection of definitions! Next time you're up Utah way you'll have to let us know for sure. Happy to see that you got the warning to work, it was nice because I was prepared for the awesomeness instead of just getting blindsided by it again, thanks for the warning!

-Washington Changro

Amy said...

How funny, i was just talking to someone about "mondegreen" the other day! :) It's like the game "Mad Gab" has been added to the dictionary!